Monday, February 14, 2011

Google Sites limits you to 5 new sites per week.

Today, I learned something new. You can only "create" 5 new Google Sites per week.  No, I didn't create 5 new sites this week. In fact I have 5 sites in total (and one is just a template of another site set to private).

I created two new real sites and 3 if you count the private separate site. ( you can't make a site a template unless it is public so I just copied a site and set it as private).

You may ask what happened. Well, I created one site, but I didn't like the name so I deleted it and recreated it so it counted as two.  The other site I had created I tried with another template first, but I didn't like the template so I had recreated it. Yes, that also counts as two sites created so when I tried to create another site to move another over from self hosting, I got the following error

"Sorry you can not create more sites at this time"



It appears to be a common error for many. On a Google Sites help page it says that you have reached the limit for site creation for the week and to wait a few days and it should work.  It goes on to state that the current limit is 5 sites per week. Since I don't have more than 5 sites in total and two were created more than a week ago, it is obvious that the "new site" count is not reduced when a site is created and deleted right away.


It really doesn't bother me if this is the case since most people have no need to do five a week (nor do I), but it would have been nice if there were a warning on the add new site page or perhaps a message saying the exact problem like "you have reached the limit of new sites (5), you may create another on <date>" . If I had a message like that I would have thought ok, no biggie.  Anyway if you decide to try Google Sites it is good to know that if you create and delete a few times, you may have to take a week off to work on other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment