Monday, November 26, 2007

Printfection Print-on-Demand Review

Printfection is another print-on-demand service similar to CafePress. Printfection is different because they specialize in shirts. They don't have mugs or calendars though, so that is a disadvantage. I read in several forums that their shirt print quality is better than that of Cafe Press and somone actualy posted online images of the same shirt design from both companies and yes the Printfection shirt was much better if not perfect.

Customizable shop layout via CSS


Their system for adding products was super fast. You can select a design and then use select all for different main categories of products to batch include them. Add a description, title and markup and they're in. That was very nice. The account is free and you can edit the CSS of a store template or choose one of several predesigned (although not very attractive) store templates. You can create categories and subcategories very easily too. Although you can customize the shop you can't have a logo greater than 760px wide, so no full with header logo. My shop didn't look good since I couldn't get the header to look right.

Lack of payment options


There were however some problems. First like CafePress, you can't get paid by PayPal which I find unacceptable since I have to wait at least 45 days to get paid. I don't want to get paid two or three months after the fact because of the time it takes to get a check from the United States.

Lack of image organization


The other glaring problem was the inability to organize images into separate groups or directories. All of the photos I uploaded went into one big directory. It became quite a mess after a while and I can only imagine how long it would take me to select an image once I had 1000 designs aka images.

Marketing Tools


There were no marketing tools either. Their forum just said to do your marketing, but it isn't so easy without any widgets or special linking tools. (not like CafePress gave me any either)

Conclusion:


Pros

  • Better quality shirts

  • Free account

  • customizable site (except header logo width)


cons

  • logo issue

  • CSS would be difficult for newbies to edit.

  • limited template designs (some of which didn't display correctly in Firefox on a PC)

  • No mugs, calendars. ie. fewer products than Cafe Press


The end result is that I liked it better than Cafe Press, but it didn't entirely meet my need of a photo gift POD. To see an example Printfection store click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment