Sunday, January 23, 2011

Google Blogger Wishlist

So far in my websites to Blogger blog switch I've completely moved two blogs to Blogger with custom domains. Obviously without the product catalogs I had before, but these two sites converted pretty well since the blogs had few posts. I've created a blogger blog for my main art site and I spent a few hours converting the Wordpress exports and importing to blogger.  I got several errors that didn't mean anything (just error codes), but I got everything in draft form to later publish under their old dates.  However I came across one important limitation.

While I am very happy that Google Blogger now allows Pages, I discovered that you can only have ten and there are no subpages whereas in Wordpress pages can be in levels and you can set up as many as you want to (at least when self-hosted). In my art site's blog I have about 30 or perhaps 40 "pages" with relatively static information so I'm trying to decide what to do. Should I convert them to posts? Perhaps start another blog just one one of the subtopics that I rarely go into?  I'm not quite sure, but I will probably turn some into posts and combine others.

Here's my wishlist for Blogger:

  1. Allow as many Pages as someone wants. It should be as unlimited as posts.
  2. Allow posts to be hierarchal so that they can be in levels and appear that way in the URL too. At least 2 levels.
  3.  Improve post export and import to give descriptive errors instead of numbers or there was a problem.
  4. When importing check for duplicate entries. I noticed many posts were appearing twice. Basically just check for the same title and date before adding.
  5. Something isn't working right for the Amazon ID in Monetize, When I try to add one of my codes for Amazon it doesn't update.

No comments:

Post a Comment