Friday, September 14, 2007

Auction Ads test update

Auction Ads experiment report: one month later


About on month ago, on the 16th, I decided to test AuctionAds on my websites due to decreasing income from Google Adwords compared to site visitors.

Although I had heard wonderful things about AuctionAds, it has not worked out very well for me. I had set it up on all of my websites using the different campaigns I had set up in their control panel. I also made sure to place their ads right above content on my busiest pages (my irregular & regular verb lists). I also had placed the ad on my website sidebars although on some pages they are 'below the fold' which means that you'd have to scroll down to see them. I did not put them in the same position as Google Adsense because I know Adsense works. Auction Ads is not pay-per-click. It is pay-per-action.

During this time my Auction Ads have only been clicked on 7 times and there was no income. I believe the main problem is that Auction Ads relies on placing keywords. Unfortunately since many people who use e-bay keyword stuff their products, many products that appear in Ebay and therefore AuctionAds, also appear. I need to go through my sites and make better keywords. If I am too specific in keywords, it is possible that no ads will appear at all.

Another possiblilty is that Auction Ads requires to be specialized for each page. Perhaps it doesn't work well for websites that cover a broad topic. If that is true, it should do better on niche websites. On the AuctionAds website, there is a case study which mentions a site about diabetes that supposedly makes a huge amount of money via their AuctionAds.

I will let the ads run one more month for testing. If I don't get any results, I will try another kind of advertisement in their place.

What do you think? Do you have any tips for using AuctionAds? What has your experience been like?

No comments:

Post a Comment