Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Become a millionaire by moving your online business

Are you currently starting an online business or have you had it for a while now?

If you have been working online for a while now, you've probably noticed that you aren't having to 'go to work' because 'work' has become the kitchen table or the desk in the quiet corner next to the big window.  Perhaps your office is now a converted basement or perhaps your home or apartment has a spare or guest bedroom that you have taken over.

Just maybe you have been seeing a slow but steady progress from investing in your online business (computer, internet, scanner, camera, printer, graphic design, website design, software, etc.) to actually making some money through selling your products or services online as well as using online advertising and affiliate sales.

Unless you have been working hard on your business for a year or more, your income is probably very limited and you are still eating cheap foods and wondering how you are going to pay the rent or your mortgage.

Remember that Profit is Income-expenses , right?

One thing you should consider is moving to some place cheaper to live.

Rent is for most of us, the biggest expense followed by food and transportation.

Before you take the plunge...


Here are some issues to consider:

  • Do you like the place your are considering moving to?

  • If you have a family, will your children have access to good schools?

  • Is there access to places where you can see your friends or make new ones?

  • Is there access to shipping for your non-digital products?

  • Will you have place to store your physical goods?

  • Is there access to health care?

  • Is there access to always-on or fast Internet service?

  • Is there a market or grocery store nearby?  How expensive is it?

  • How much will it cost me to move?

  • How long will it take me to recover my moving expenses?

  • How much of a down payment or security deposit do I need to have?


If you're single or don't have children, moving can be an easy decision to make for your online business. You don't need that expensive downtown apartment to write in your blog :-)

If you are considering buying an apartment in a central area consider the outskirts of the city or suburbs off the main highways.  For the cost of the condominium downtown, you probably can buy a house in the suburb.  Instead of having your office on the kitchen table, you could have a room for your office.   You'll also have less noise to distract you.

My personal situation


One of my personal concerns as an English teacher is to be able to get to my classes. I often have class at 7 in the morning. Obviously I need to live in or near downtown near public transportation, but if I only do translations then it won't be very important where I live. I'd only need to drop off the invoice. Perhaps I'd have to meet with a new client in person. It definitely wouldn't be a weekly occurance.  When I looked into the possibility of buying a condominium, in the area of Mexico city I am currently renting in, I found it would cost me between 550,000 and 650,000 pesos to buy for between 45 and 62 square meters, no parking spot included.  However if I were willing to live in the suburbs to the north of the city, the same real estate company could sell me a small house for the price of the cheaper apartment. Oh, yeah, I'd have a parking space in front :-)

I of course had to say no, since my teaching income is higher than my online and translation income.

I know clients who live in that same suburb.  It takes them about two hours to get to work and home because of the heavy rush hour traffic. If you have an online business you don't have to go shopping or visit clients at rush hour.

 So what does it have to do with becoming a millionaire?


Well lets say you move and buy that small house. You don't have to use that extra bedroom for your office. You could rent it out and use that income to help pay your mortgage bill.  You could buy or rent only a condominium in the suburb and discover that you have an extra $200 dollars a month that you used to spend on that expensive apartment downtown.

By investing that 'new money' you have through lowered living expenses, you'll become a millionaire in only a few years. If you buy a house instead of renting an apartment, your home equity will make you a millionaire even quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment