Sunday, August 5, 2007

Earning money online, monetizing the web: Testing with Amazon.com's program, Google Adsense, Paypal donations, and The newsroom

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to pay for my hosting, registrations, and other expenses through Internet programs. Why?
I have always wanted to help others and I want to have many activities online to help my students practice and improve their language learning and business skills. That is why I currently have two websites. http://portallanguageservices.com for people who want to learn English, and http://crucialbusiness.com which is for business and personal finance issues.

I want to mention that I got many of the ideas for this article from problogger.net.

I recommend visiting that site if you are interested in someone who has been making money online for several years.
I'm at the other end. I've been teaching English classes and going Spanish-English translations. So If you'd like to to follow my progress please do so here.

I am currently testing the following programs:

1. Google Adsense


Most people seem to be advertising using it but the returns are low unless you have your ads optimized and many visitors. If you only have a few visitors don't expect to make more than a dollar a day if even that much. It should however with minimal effort pay for the costs of an inexpensive web hosting account.

I signed up in mid-May and earned a few cents.
I made less than 5 dollars in June,
I made a little more than 16 dollars in July.
This also corresponds to an increase in visitors as reported by Google Analytics.
I currently have an average of 60 visits per day for the last 30 days.
You don't get paid until you have $100 dollars or more in your account.
You also have to be careful not to accidentally click on your own ads.

Click the link on my page for more information.

Check out Google Adsense to earn money on your websites:

Check out Google Adwords to promote your website:

2. Amazon.com A-Store


After reading a post on problogger.net I decided to sign-up for Amazon.com's Associates program.

The good thing is that there are many options. The bad thing is that if you choose to receive your payment as a check they'll charge you a fee! They also have an option for getting paid in Gift certificates.

I signed up at at the beginning of August and I added an a-store with books. So far I haven't had any sales.
You can also place advertisements on your web pages but they only pay you for sales not per click or per impression.

3. Paypal donations


You can get paid online using Paypal but you can also setup a donation button using Paypal. Just go to your Paypal account online and follow the instructions. There are also many modules and plug-ins available for the Blog or CMS of your choice that make it easier to accept paypal.

4. The Newsroom


I got this idea from problogger.net

I have http://portallanguageservices.com a website for learning and practicing English as a second language.
I have been in the process of adding many different activities including sound, reading, vocabulary games, etc., but one thing I didn't have was video! Problogger.net mentioned that not only do they distribute free news videos but that they also share the ad revenue with you!
So now my students and visitors can enjoy the listening practice but they also can help me support my site and the time it takes to put everything up!

Update:  You won't be buying your Dell computer any time soon with the Newsroom. I only made about 50 cents in a month with it!

Go to http://www.thenewsroom.com/ to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment